Arran Chilli Cheddar Savoury Scones with Original Arran Grain Mustard
- 450 g self-raising flour
- 150 g butter
- 2 free-range eggs
- 4 tablespoons milk, plus a little more for brushing
- ½ teaspoon of Original Arran mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 50 g Cheddar Arran cheddar with chilli grated
Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6. Pulse the flour and butter in a food processor until they start to look like breadcrumbs. Tip into a bowl and make a well in the middle. In another bowl, beat the eggs and milk with a fork, add a good pinch of salt and pepper and pour into the well. Mix the flour into the eggs and milk, adding a little more milk if needed, until you have a soft, dry dough. Split the dough evenly into 3 pieces. Press each piece out flat on your work surface and sprinkle 1 piece with mustard powder, 1 with cumin powder and the last with grated cheese. Roll up each piece and knead lightly until the flavoring is just mixed in. Press or roll the dough pieces flat again, until they are about 2.5cm thick. Cut out 2 circles from each piece with an 8cm cutter, and place upside down on a baking sheet. Brush the top of each scone with the extra milk and bake in the oven for 15 minutes, until risen and brown.
Savoury Cheesecake with Arran Flaky Smoked Salmon and Roasted Red Peppers
- 1 packet of Arran Oaties, broken into pieces
- 25g/1oz butter, melted
- 100 grams cream cheese
- 100 grams soft goats cheese
- 1 tbsp double cream
- 2 tbsp chopped Arran flaky smoked salmon
- 2 tbsp chopped roasted peppers
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
Place the Arran Oaties and melted butter into a food processor and pulse to fine crumbs. Press into two small rings.
Mix the cream cheese, goats’ cheese and double cream together and fold in the Arran Smoked salmon. Season with black pepper, add the diced roasted red pepper and chopped chives. Press cream cheese mixture into rings and chill in the fridge to set.
Roasted Squash Pizza with Arran Camembert and Arran Caramelised Onion Chutney
- 1/2 butternut squash – peeled, seeded, thinly sliced
- 2 banana shallots finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 Large shop-bought pizza base
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 200 C / Gas mark 6. Place the shallot and squash in a roasting tin. Add rosemary, salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil; toss to coat. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until onions are lightly browned and squash is tender; set aside. Increase oven temperature to 230 C / Gas mark 8. Distribute squash mixture over the top of the pizza base with the sliced Camembert and continue baking for 10 minutes, checking occasionally, or until the base is slightly browned and firm. Sprinkle with cheese and remaining tablespoon olive oil. Slice and serve with the Arran caramelised onion chutney.
Warm Arran Blue Beignets with Arran Tomato Chutney
- 200ml/7floz boiling water
- 75g/1½oz unsalted butter
- 100g/3½oz plain flour
- 2 free-range eggs
- 75g/2¾oz Arran blue cheese
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 500ml/18fl oz vegetable oil, plus extra for dipping
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Add butter to a pan of boiling water. Once the butter has melted, add the flour and whisk the mixture quickly with a wooden spoon until it comes away from the sides of the pan. Allow the mixture to cool for 5 minutes, add eggs, cheese and cayenne pepper. Heat oil. Using a teaspoon dipped in vegetable oil, place spoonfuls of the mixture into the frying oil. Fry each portion until it puffs up and turns golden in colour. Remove the beignets from the oil with a slotted spoon, drain on kitchen paper and season. Serve with Arran tomato chutney.